New Study Spotlights Trends in Supermarket Advertising and Promotions
By Aptaris / March 2017News, Press Releases
Benchmark survey finds U.S. grocers increasing investments in social media, mobile and more personalized communications to better engage customers
TAMPA, Fla. And CHICAGO (March 8, 2017) – Aptaris, an enterprise marketing and promotions management innovator, and dunnhumby, a leading customer science company, today released the second annual study, “Advertising and Promotional Practices Among U.S. Supermarket Retailers,” providing an in-depth review of grocery industry best practices with a look at expected changes in the coming years. With responses from nearly 70 food retailers representing more than 4,600 stores across 34 states, the comprehensive study details growing investments in social media, mobile and more relevant promotions by U.S. grocers in response to changing consumer buying behavior.
“The 2017 report underscores the accelerated pace of change for supermarkets,” said Tom O’Reilly, CEO of Aptaris. “When nine in 10 retailers say they plan on reducing budget from print circulars and moving it to digital, mobile and social media, marketers must identify resources to support them with these transitions while maintaining consistent communications with shoppers. That’s the type of actionable information contained in this important industry study.”
Key findings include:
- Digital circulars are an important first step in online engagement – While digital circulars have become the norm, sophistication varies widely. With shoppers increasingly moving their planning and shopping online, digital optimization is important to omnichannel success.
- Plan, execute, evaluate and adapt – Many food retailers are investing in social, mobile and digital tactically, but not strategically. Retailers with greater budget allocation and digital/social presence are much more likely to measure the effectiveness of their efforts.
- One size fits no one – Consumers are demanding relevant content, but only 36 percent of grocers use segmentation in their print pieces. This picture may change rapidly, with 42 percent planning to start segmented print outreach in the next two years.
- Opportunity gaps exist in social media – Total shopper usage of social media far exceeds retail social presence, presenting grocers with a green field opportunity to grow social engagement across vehicles
- Loyalty cards can successfully drive engagement beyond the circular – Loyalty retailers have above-average transaction sizes and emphasize technology integration, digital/mobile and social, targeted print outreach and greater levels of sophistication.
“Consumer buying behavior is rapidly changing which necessitates retailers to adapt their promotional practices,” said Haluk Nural, senior vice president, retail consulting for dunnhumby. “The report demonstrates the importance for retailers to develop a customer-centric approach to engaging shoppers with more targeted, relevant pricing and promotions.”
Marketers and retailers are invited to review insights from the Advertising and Promotional Practices report by:
- Watching the recorded presentation outlining the detailed findings and analysis of the report at https://www.goaptaris.com/Ad_Promo_Study2017/
- Downloading the report complete with charts and graphs detailing survey responses and best practices at https://www.goaptaris.com/Ad_Promo_Study2017/
To learn more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 888.804.5008.
Aptaris connects the entire marketing and promotions management process for seamless omni-channel customer communications. Aptaris streamlines systems, processes, and data – from the moment of deal initiation through implementation to settlement and post-promotion analysis. Retailer merchandising, marketing, advertising, and store operations departments work better together to quickly identify opportunities, improve communications, get more from budgets and drive profitability. In a world of fewer resources and growing complexity, Aptaris helps marketers do more with less. Aptaris supports national retailers, distributors and consumer goods vendors. www.GoAptaris.com.
dunnhumby is a leading customer science company. We analyze data and apply insights from nearly one billion shoppers across the globe to create personalized customer experiences in digital, mobile, and retail environments. Our strategic process, proprietary insights, and multichannel media capabilities build loyalty with customers to drive competitive advantage and sustained growth for clients. dunnhumby employs over 2,000 experts in offices throughout Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas and works with a prestigious group of companies including Tesco, Monoprix, Raley’s, Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, and PepsiCo. Learn more at www.dunnhumby.com.
# # #